-->

How to use the Virtualization Lab (II)


Picking up from where I left, it was now time to change the setup into something very different. The first step was the creation of another VM inside Hyper-V to be used as an alternative source for iSCSI storage. I achieved this by installing the Microsoft iSCSI Target 3.3 on a new Server 2008 R2 x64 VM. I created this machine with two vhd files; one for the OS and the other one for the iSCSI storage.

I will now show you the steps taken to create three new iSCSI virtual disks:

Creation of the iSCSI target:

iSCSI 1


iSCSI 2

Creation of the iSCSI initiators that will link to this target:

iSCSI 3

The initiators can be added either by IP or by FQDN:

iSCSI 4

Creation of the virtual disks:

iSCSI 6

iSCSI 7

iSCSI 8

Final result: Three new virtual iSCSI disks to be used in my cluster:

iSCSI 9

Now I went to both nodes and repeated the procedure of adding a new iSCSI target:

iSCSI 10

iSCSI 11

Node1 with the three additional disks online:

iSCSI 12

Once the disks were online on both node I added them to the cluster storage:

iSCSI 13

And they were added to the available storage pool:

iSCSI 14

Now I assigned them to the cluster services, namely to SQL Server and to MSDTC:

iSCSI 15

In fact, it’s useless to add additional storage to MSDTC because there is no way to transfer the service from one disk to another without deleting and reinstalling the service but this is a lab and therefore I was just fooling around with the possibilities. It is also impossible to have two witness disks simultaneously but I dealt with that later:

iSCSI 16

Can you guess what the next step was?

1 comment:

kalpna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.